Monday, October 6, 2008

Amazing strangers

This past Friday we went to Kyle's mission reunion somewhere in Salt Lake City. When we got there, Kyle realized that there wasn't anyone there that he knew except the mission president and his wife. So, he said hi to them and we left. What a waste. We drove all the way to SLC to say hi to some people. Well, we decided to make it our date night and go to dinner somewhere. We both wanted to go to Red Lobster, but we didn't want to spend that much money. So, we both agreed that we would go, but we would get the cheapest thing that sounded good. Turns out, nothing is cheap at Red Lobster! While we were thinking about leaving, the waiter came and asked us what we wanted to order. We both blurted out our order without thinking twice. What the heck? We never go out to eat or go on real dates, so this was going to be our date for the month and a huge splurge for the week. In the middle of our deliciously expensive meal, the man from the table next to us came over to our table with a gift card. He told us that the gift card had $35 left on it and we could have it! We graciously accepted the card and said, "thank you". His wife said, "we were young once too", with a smile as she followed her husband and three young girls our of the restaurant. We were both speechless! We could not believe that there were people that nice in this world. I only wish I knew of some way to return the favor. All night long we could not stop thinking about it. I can't even count how many times we said to each other,"I can't believe what just happened!" All the way home we talked about what we want to do someday if we ever have money. Knowing how that made us feel, made us want to do things like that for people. I can't help but think that stuff like that happens for a reason. Not because we "deserved it", but because so many people in my family would give everything they had to make someone happy. I can think of countless times where my Grandma, my Great Grandma, my Mom and Dad, and my Aunt Toni have given so much to someone in the family or in the ward that is in need of help. They are always willing to help out a little or a lot no matter what the situation has been. I am so thankful for my family showing me how to be giving. I love to do everything we can to make sure all of our loved ones know that we were thinking of them on their birthday or on holidays. Even if is only a homemade card or a text message. If there was a lesson to be taught, we definitely learned from it. I only wish there were more people in the world who were more humble and giving and more people that "pay it forward" when something like that happens to them. If there were more kind people in this world, needless to say, it would just be a better place to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I really believe there are angels among us! I am glad you got to have a real date night too! Let us watch Hayden sometime - we would love to help out.
Love ya, Aunt Neenee