Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cafe Rio Dressing

If you have ever been to Cafe Rio, (or Cafe Caubo in Las Vegas) I am sure you have met, fell in love with, and had several rendezvous with: THEIR AMAZING TOMATILLO RANCH DRESSING!!! I know I have. Well, being poor takes one to desperate measures I guess... I googled it, found a recipe, tried it, and it was amazing. I am not sure if it's the exact recipe but it tastes dang good and it sure satisfied my craving. I would eat it with a spoon if it were ok to do so, but since it's not, I just eat it with everything else. Here is the recipe I tried, and modified to my liking:

THIS WILL MAKE ABOUT 1 AND 1/2 CUPS OF DRESSING
1 Buttermilk ranch dressing packet
2 Tomatillos-without the husk/leaf thingy
1/2 of a bunch of cilantro without the bottom, long stem part
1 clove of garlic
1 Jalapeno(without the seeds for medium, with the seeds for HOT, or substitute with 3 slices of the jalapenos you buy in a jar for mild)
3/4 C mayo
1-2 heaping spoonfuls of sour cream
Juice of 1 lime-optional (I didn't use it. I prefer to squeeze the lime right on my salad.)

Put everything into a food processor or a blender and blend well. Refrigerate to thicken. Don't taste it before you put it away or you might not put it away! YUM!

Oh and it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.

tomatillo Pictures, Images and Photos This is a tomatillo. You can find them in the produce section by the peppers.

No comments: